As stated yesterday, I’m doing a how-to post today! I’m taking advantage of the cold weather today to write a post about dressing for warmth. Here is a sample outfit:
1) Base layer: Forever 21 tank top and boots, JC Penney jeans *Wear a close fitting base to allow for layers*
2) Soft layer: Aeropostale cardigan *A soft, insulating layer keeps your outfit comfy*
3) Heavy-duty layer: Wetseal jacket *A barrier layer gives warmth and protection*
4) Extra layer: Forever 21 vest *A knitted vest keeps you toasty*
5) Accessories: Forever 21 scarf *I LOVE THICK SCARVES!!! They are so chic and cozy :)*
6) This outfit was actually too warm for my school, so I didn’t wear the jacket today. I just wore the vest on top of the cardigan. It actually looks better this way too!
7) Cute boots from Forever 21! I used to avoid ankle boots because they make my short legs look even shorter, but these are okay. In the winter, I often give in to comfort and wear Bearpaw boots instead of cute shoes though.
8) POLKA DOT MITTENS! I got these on sale the other day and they are so cozy! Isotoner makes really nice gloves/mittens with thick lining inside.
Keep in mind that I also put on my super-thick down coat on top of all these layers!
Some more helpful tips:
- Layer! Layer! Layer! I often wear a black turtleneck under sweaters, cardigans, sweater dresses, etc. Try using vests as well! Also experiment with different silhouettes: long-sleeve shirts under short-sleeve sweaters, LEGWARMERS over leggings/tights, capes over long-sleeved shirts, etc.
- Belt it up to stay shapely 🙂 You can put a belt on top of a cardigan/sweater, shirt, or jacket or wear a belted coat. Depending on the fit of the top, a belt can even transform it into a peplum style!
- Use accessories: scarves, mittens, hats, legwarmers, earmuffs, etc. If you haven’t watched it already, make sure you check out this video on how to wear scarves: 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf
- Wear leggings! Many stores sell fleece-lined leggings that I find are actually warmer than pants. However, always make sure your behind is covered, whether with a tunic, dress, skirt, or shorts (I love the shorts+tights/leggings combo)
That’s all for now! Good luck staying cozy!
Until next time,