I’m just going to show you what I put in my bag for a weeklong trip to California! Since I’m leaving tomorrow and coming back on Sun., I needed to prepare clothes for 6 days. I also had to pack formal business outfits because of the conference dress code.
There you have it! I put everything into a carry-on sized bag and had lots of room left over! Here’s what I packed (keep in mind I had to have casual clothing + dress code appropriate clothing):
- 2 dresses
- 1 tank top/layering piece
- 2 shorts
- 1 cardigan
- 4 tops (3 blouses + 1 tee)
- 1 skirt
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of slacks
- 1 blazer
- 1 magazine
- 1 AP study guide
- 3 pairs of shoes
- cross body bag
- headphones and chargers (I put these in later)
- MY BUNNY
I also put a bunch of stuff in a big cross-body bag (my “personal item”) like my notebook, 2 magazines, laptop, etc.
Here are some tips for packing efficiently:
- ROLL YOUR CLOTHES!!! It saves so much room and prevents clothes from wrinkling/creasing. I rolled everything from my jeans to my blazer to my undergarments. For more in-depth instructions, click here.
- Choose clothing of the same color palette. This makes it easier to mix and match different pieces to create new looks. Of course, I didn’t pick clothes strictly only from one color palette, but most of the clothing I packed tended to be warm colors, dark navy, or grey (which matches nearly everything).
- Wear your heaviest clothing. I packed my dress shoes, sneakers, and flip flops, but I’m wearing my wedges to the airport because they take up the most room. Tomorrow, I’m wearing a casual dress for comfort and layering a cardigan and jacket on top. Wearing many layers not only saves room in your suitcase, but also allows you to easily adjust to changing temperatures.
- BEWARE OF LIQUID SIZES!!! Just last week I got my face wash confiscated because it was over the quantity limit. For more information, click here. In order to not lose any more toiletries, this time I put my conditioner, shampoo, face wash, and lotion all in separate travel-size containers. You can easily find these containers at Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Luckily, my suitcase came with a pack of empty travel size containers.
That’s all for my packing tips! Hopefully that will prove helpful to you at some point in time 🙂
I forgot to show what I bought at Yale, so I’ll just randomly show it now:
Since I got 2 coupons with my Bulldog Days package, I bought a hat (~$12) and a hoodie (~$30). They were a lot more expensive than what I would usually pay for a hat and a hoodie, but college clothing is expensive! There were some hoodies pushing $60! They didn’t have any smalls left in this pink version, so I got a medium. It is HUGE, but I love it because it’s super warm and oversized! Plus, it’s so big it covers my bum so I can wear leggings with it. Lots of people got a classic blue shirt/hoodie/sweatshirt, but I got a pink one because PINK IS MY COLOR 😉
I got these dragonfly sunglasses ages ago and pulled them out because I can’t find my favorite brown ones. I bought a really flattering pair from Forever 21 this past summer and it had a nice brown plastic frame, and this white frame looks a big bold. It’s also really big, as you can tell in the pictures. I will be looking for a new pair because this pair is so disproportionately huge. I heard somewhere that big sunglasses are good though, because they protect the skin around your eyes from wrinkles. I don’t go out enough for it to actually make a difference, though.
Until next time (in sunny California!),